Monday, September 22, 2008

CALM BEFORE THE STORM


Dedicated to "soft"ware people going through "hard" times



God has his bizarre ways of keeping things on an even keel. Most students simply cruised during the recruitment process while some students had to toil hard and fight their guts out to get a job. The tough times and the bitter experiences have paid rich dividends and a large majority of students who got recruited in the latter part of the season have kick-started their careers much to the frustration of the other guys who are yet to get a glimpse of the call letter. The break which seemed like a welcome respite for the students after graduation slowly turned into an uncomfortable pain in the back side(this is a family blog and i condemn use of bad language in it). The departure of friends pursuing their higher education abroad havn’t done any good to the morale of the dejected lot of guys. By far, these are the most irritating and annoying holidays anyone can get. It can be really depressing every morning when u wake up clearly aware of the fact that there is nothing useful to do and look forward to. Even the mere sight of a software firm’s bus gives me a burst of blood pressure and intolerable hatred. The hesitancy of my mom in giving me money did not impress me either even though I realize that it is not fair on my part by asking her everyday.
My social life has obviously taken a beating largely due to the absence of my close friends. The poorer souls are those of my friends in trichy, karaikudi etc who don’t even have decent hang-outs and are trapped in primitive and conservative societies( other metropolitans consider chennai to be highly conservative). However, I must say that lately, I have kept myself pretty occupied with this entire "blogging episode" as it gives me great pleasure especially when I receive accolades from my friends(I am human after all!!). the last month was a real fantastic experience for me as I started my part time career in a low-key fashion. Teaching a bunch of primary grade students on road safety wasn’t actually my cup of tea but I acclimatized swiftly to the environment. It was a wonderful learning curve and I must consider myself fortunate for having this opportunity which not all can dream of having. (pay is also handsome)
The indefinite deferment of the "joining date" has made students all over the country deeply anxious and the least we can do is "pray for the best". National disasters like inflation,recession have accentuated our troubles and one gets a feeling that someone has performed "voodoo" magic on software firms. however, I have been extremely optimistic and I keep waiting for a message from one of my friends about the call everyday. There are interim arrangements in the form of jobs in call-centres but one wonders whether speaking in pseudo-american accent to mundane foreigners would do any help. The sad part is that these are the jobs which are abundant in our job-market.
I feel that these times are not for repenting on past and it has to be used judiciously by us. We must understand that this is the only period of our lives where we can pursue almost anything we desire. The "abominable lull" in our lives might be a touch unpleasant but the solution lies in our hands. What we can hope that this calm in our life is not the "calm before the storm".

1 comment:

mukundnarayan said...

its getting worse by the second n wen ya mention it (ya did more than mention) it makes me even more uncomfortable. i actually dono how, but sort of started liking your blogs but this one except for the style.............i hate it (somethings r better off MUM) v r showing off as if v r having a blast man but..........