Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TEENS AND TEAMS


My life in sports has not been prolific by any stretch of imagination. I was passionate towards cricket and basketball but was never able to deliver the goods when most needed. Some friends in school thought I was an excellent player in basketball and I had all the ingredients to make it big on the grand stage. However, I hardly did justice to my talent.
My college life wasn’t any different as far as sport was concerned. I loathed being a part of the bench of my college basketball team and as a result, started skipping practice(which itself happens rarely). Eventually, I was thrown out of the team which virtually ended my career in basketball(as if I had a glittering one).
The game of cricket in my college was more than just a game. Students took the game damn seriously(even more than exams) and the aura that the sport created among us was something remarkable. Teams were manufactured with the available resources early on in our college lives.
Tournaments went flying past and the same results replicated regardless of our team composition. Friends became foes and fresh faces emerged from the shadows. Still, the same old story was scripted.
I was part of some great teams but it was a pity that I hardly contributed to the success of it. The “11 strikers” had a cohesive unit but we were reduced to “paper tigers” time and again. The constellation of stars present in the “sonnets” made sure that I hardly got a chance to show my prowess. Even when the opportunity was presented in a platter, I failed miserably.
Then came a team named “detonators”. There were certain misunderstandings as a consequence of my migration but I must admit that I immediately fit into the team dynamics and shared a great rapport with my teammates
Be it rajiv’s bohemian style of play, sami’s aeolian shots of elan, manickam’s panache and extremely gifted selvam, the team had all components of a fine one. It obviously wasn’t the best, but it certainly could become one.
To append to that, we had the services of the flamboyant “varun”, highly committed “arun” , the perfect team man “shankar” and sarvo’s fiery pace. The hefty aravind was a touch rusty but it was his keen acumen of the game that made him an integral part of the game.
The fact that the entire team stayed under the same roof meant that we were extremely united. Most people thought that the team was divided and we had a lot of differences between us. But I strongly felt these pre-concieved notions were a mere myth. We were a different team altogether on the field. We also had great moral support in the form of simbu,ajit,kalyan and simmesh.
Unfortunately, after all the tom-tom, our first campaign was a disastrous one as we succumbed meekly in a match, which we should have prevailed with ease. However, we were determined to show our mettle in the next season. No one had tasted success and that really motivated us for the challenge ahead.
Success is indeed counted sweetest for those who havn’t tasted any. Will we atleast have a sniff of it?
Only time would have the answer………….

1 comment:

mukundnarayan said...

first thing about this blog is tht...........how do ya make such interesting reads n moreover it seems like ya didn't wanna write long. i was baffled wen it was over so quickly. shud hav mentioned that last ball six n more importantly those matches wid sivapadham's team n our background scores during xams.